Monday, August 24, 2009

Cars Are Made To Be Driven

For the past four years, I put an average of only around 7,000 miles per year on my old Jag (now reclassified as a "clunker"). However, because of my aunties visiting from Taiwan, I put nearly 2,000 miles on my new Highlander in the last 3 weeks! The best part is, I've only owned it for 3 weeks! In an instant, my new Highlander has practically lost half it's value thanks mostly to the many, many round trips from Palo Alto to Pleasanton to pick up the aunties, to San Francisco and various other Bay Area attractions, back to Pleasanton to drop off the aunties and then back home to Palo Alto. Why my uncle insisted that the aunties stay with him way the heck out in the middle-of-nowhere-Pleasanton is a mystery. But I suppose from his perspective the answer would be "why not?" as he's not the one that has to suffer for it, I am!

As I lamented over the literally instantaneous and drastic depreciation of my new Highlander, my dear sister reminded me that cars are not meant to be investments, "cars are made to be driven". The good news is, the aunties had a fabulous time visiting with us all in California and we all have wonderful memories to treasure because of it. Now that I've delivered the aunties safely back on their flight back home to Taiwan, I can go back to my normal driving habits and the insanity of all the back to school activities for my son who starts 3rd grade this Thursday. What a fun, eventful and memorable summer it has been!

P.S.
The San Francisco City Pass is a super deal for anyone wishing to spend some time visiting the cultural attractions in SF! For only $59 when purchased from www.alcatrazcruises.com (or $50 if you don't feel the need to actually visit Alcatraz and a regular boat tour/cruise of the Bay will do when purchased through the Entertainment Book), you get a round trip cruise and self guided audio tour of Alcatraz, unlimited Cable Car and bus rides within SF, and admission to the Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park, Aquarium of the Bay at Pier 39, the SFMOMA and the DeYoung Museum + Legion of Honor or the Exploratorium. The cost of the Bay Cruise and admission to the Academy of Sciences alone already add up to the price of of the City Pass.

I'll probably buy the City Pass again next summer even if we're not hosting out of town visitors as it's totally worth it just to take the kids to all of those museums again. They had just as much fun at the Academy of Sciences, Exploratorium and the Aquarium of the Bay as they would have had at any random amusement park and it's much more meaningful and shhhhhh... educational! Plus they would love another trip to Alcatraz and would ride the Cable Cars back and forth all day long if they could! It's fun to be a tourist in your own back yard!

No comments:

Post a Comment